Well, we just got back from a visit to the Children's ER (at the suggestion of our pediatrician). What an exhausting night.
It all started around 4:30 pm when Carleigh began screaming (reminiscent of her pre-reflux/milk allergy knowledge days) ear-piercing cries consistently for 2 hours. Dustin was working on an MBA class project at Incarnate Word, so I was alone with her. It was very taxing, I will be honest. She was crying. I was crying. The two of us were a mess. I am not over-exaggerating, the screaming went on for two hours, non-stop. I took videos with my phone to show to Dustin because I was at a loss for what to do.
She had exhibited this behavior Friday and Saturday, also. In fact, Friday, while my mother-in-law watched her Carleigh had exhibited this same behavior so I called Andrea up to ask her for any tips that had helped her. She couldn't even hear me over the crying so she just headed over to the house to try to help.
Upon her arrival (30 minutes later), Carleigh was still screaming, and that's when I called the on-call Dr. at my pediatric clinic. Dr. Pauli called back and said to definitely go to the ER because her crying (he could hear it in the background) sounded like intense pain and not just like gas/colic/reflux.
Long story shorter :) ... we go to the ER and Carleigh, of course, had finally passed out from exhaustion in her car seat. Upon poking and prodding her, they couldn't find anything wrong with her. We really wanted them to do a stomach x-ray but they said that unless her stool was bloody or she was excessively vomitting, they don't do those.
So we went home with no answers. And as soon as she woke up to eat, guess what happened? That's right, the crying started again!
So Dustin's and I are going to go down on the nipple size we are using for the bottles. Other than that ... we are going to check with the pediatrician this next week. Ugh ... crossing our fingers for a good night!
O no! That is scary. Keep us updated as to how she does today.
ReplyDeleteJessica,
ReplyDeleteIf you ever need me to come over and help you all you have to do is call me. I am usually here everynight. I know when your child is crying and you don't know the reason how stressful it can be. Do you think by any chance this could be a result of the accident you were involved in last week? I will keep your family in my prayers and remember I am just across the street if you need me.
D'Lynn, thanks for the offer! I definitely will take you up on it! I didn't know you were up for it - she is normally a sweetheart ... but I can sometimes use the break, especially on nights when Dusty has class or is away. I need to get your cell number!
ReplyDelete