Last night before bed, Carleigh and I were cozied up together on the couch upstairs watching Bambi. We've watched it countless times and normally when Bambi's mother gets shot and Carleigh asks where she went, I reply with "the hunters hurt her." The truth, but not the whole truth.
Last night was no different, except that when I told her that the hunters hurt Bambi's mommy, she turned around and looked at mewith a trembling lip and tears about to spill over her eyes and said "who would want to hurt a deer?" Startled by her realization, I said, "the hunters, sweetie." The tears spilled over her eyelids and she asked again, "where did Bambi's mommy go?" This is common lately to repeat her question over and over until she gets an answer that she likes. I said "don't worry, Bambi will be okay but his mommy is gone." Again she asked, "where did she go?" I tried to ignore the questions and said to just watch. Carleigh's response, "turn it off, Mommy! I don't want to watch it anymore!" She still isn't sure about what death is but she knew that what happened in the movie was bad and it made her so sad, that I teared up, too.
As I refect about what I coud've said to better explain what happened, I realize that nothing would've made it okay in her eyes. It's funny but I am so proud of the compassion Carleigh has gained and is continuing to develop. My two cents: I still don't understand why anyone besides their natural predators would want to hurt a deer.
Daddy on the otherhand took two links of deer sausage to work today.
Wow this made me sad! Poor Bambi's mom and C!
ReplyDelete