Thursday, January 5, 2012

You'd think this was my first time...

... as a parent!  I thought about deleting my post from yesterday after getting the news I got today about Parker.  But later when looking back, I realized that if my concern and worry and yes, being wrong, wasn't documented, then I'd forget how hard parenting an infant is, regardless of how many children you have. 
Parker has been way fussier than normal, and today was almost unbearable for me because I couldn't console him.  He would cry for 1-2 hours (and get so worked up that he'd choke) and then pass out for 2 or so hours.  I was grateful for the few naps he took but his awake time really had me worried.
  I wanted to double check with the doctor that it was his teeth and not something else bothering him.  I also didn't want to be giving him tylenol if nothing was wrong with him.
My friend Jill mentioned Epstein Pearls to me this afternoon before my visit, but I was sure I was right about the teeth.  Turns out, I was wrong. 

Epstein pearls: definition (From PubMed website)
Gingival cysts of the newborn
Epstein pearls are whitish-yellow cysts that form on the gums and roof of the mouth in a newborn baby.
CAUSES, INCIDENCE, AND RISK FACTORS
Epstein pearls occur only in the newborn and are very common. They are seen in approximately 80% of newborns.  The pearls are protein-filled cysts. The condition is harmless, although it sometimes worries new mothers.
SYMPTOMS
Whitish-yellow nodules appear on the gums or the roof of the mouth in a newborn. They sometimes look like emerging teeth.

Well, you can imagine that I felt like an idiot :)  The pediatrician just thihnks he has a tummy bug because he has been vomitting and has more frequent and looser stools than usual.  I actually left the office a little disheartened.  Not because I wanted him to have teeth, but because I wanted a more concrete answer to why he has been so out of sorts lately.  We're supposed to see how he's doing in 2-3 days and if he's not back to normal, we'll go back and revisit his milk allergy/reflux issues.  And of course, wouldn't you know that this evening he was smiley-mcgee! 
What a day!  Did I mention that parenting doesn't get easier the second time around?

No comments:

Post a Comment