Friday, July 16, 2010

1 year letter to my baby

I saw this on my friend, Megan's blog and she does it each year for her children and I think it's a terrific way for you to go back and reflect on the year that has past and look forward to the year to come.  So, Megan, I hope you don't mind me borrowing the idea for my blog (and baby book).
To Carleigh on your 1st Birthday,

     Carleigh, one year ago, your dad and I never expected to have this much fulfillment out of our child!  We were still in awe of the change in our lives you brought!  What an awesome change you were!  At one, you have object awareness, are able to connect two words (pretty much just Hi, Dada and Hi, Mama), but still … you simply amaze me everyday!  You have been ahead of the curve this year developmentally and began walking at 9.5 months!  This has brought so much excitement into all of our lives!  You and I can now explore life together in a completely new way!  We take walks, play on playgrounds, you climb on things and have even started running!

     You truly are such a delight to be around.  Strangers (to you) sometimes still scare you, as you are still going through stranger anxiety and you have begun the stage of separation anxiety in the past month or so.  Though inconvenient, I still continue to expose you to other people so you can get past these phases.  You go to the gym with me 5 times a week and all the girls there know you by name, though you typically get a “fussy” report following my workout.  You have begun to assert your independence by running away from the people you love or trying to get out of their arms.  It’s your way of saying you can do it yourself!  And most recently, you have gotten one sign down, the sign for “all done!”

     Six months ago, the adjective “delight,” wouldn’t have been used to describe you. You were experiencing serious tummy troubles and friends of ours thought we had the exorcist as a baby.  But after an endoscopy/sigmoidoscopy and a great Gastroenterologist, you are light-years away from where you were then.  You are still on your Prevacid, but are drinking your Amino-Acid based formula pretty well and are eating solids like a champ.  Fruits, veggies and meats are your mainstays for foods.  We are pretty sure your Duodenitis is gone and when we go back for a second endoscopy in September, you’ll hopefully get a clean bill of health and perhaps your dietary deficiencies might be outgrown.

     This next year, perhaps we can spend a little more time “well.”  Your dad jokes that they know us by name at Good Night Pediatrics. But more often than not, we were right for going. You were one sick little girl between 6-9 months!

     The way you are behaving right now makes us want another child!!!  Don’t worry, baby girl, that won’t happen for a while to come, but we now see why people do have other children!  I so easily forget the hard times at the beginning because the rewards pile up tenfold shortly thereafter.

     Some of my favorite things to do with you right now are: waking up in the morning to get you! Normally you ask for “Dada,” though, but that’s okay because he loves it!  The mood you are in at the early time of 6:30 am is one of your best of the day, therefore we do not mind getting up with you at all!  I love the cuddly time we have after you awake from naps because you snuggle in my arms and I know you won’t let me hold you for much longer, so I’m treasuring these moments.  When Daddy gets home in the late afternoons from work, we love to turn on the ipod dock or put on your Laurie Berkner CD and dance with you!  You are one dancing fool already!!!

     In the next year to come, I am so enthusiastic to see what a little girl you turn into.  As your communication skills increase and your physical abilities advance, I know we will make fantastic memories trying new things and accomplishing milestones.  You will only get more beautiful, I am sure, though I don’t know how that’s possible.  Your fierce stubbornness and incredible moodiness make me smile and remind your father of me daily.  It will be interesting to see if your personality continues to mimic mine or if you will become a little more laid back.  However you develop and change, know that I love you (as does your Daddy) more than anything in the world!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Mommy

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!! I can't belive she is 1!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, she is not quite 1, but I had to send the blog to print :) Just a few more days ... thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete